Welcome to the City of Montebello business community. We are pleased that you have selected our City for your business enterprise. We are here to assist you through the business license process. The information provided to begin the license procedure is intended as a public service and is not all inclusive and any specific questions should be directed to the Business License Division at 323-887-1448.
The Montebello Municipal Code requires most businesses operating in Montebello to pay an annual business license tax. With a few exceptions of flat fees, most Montebello business license tax is computed based on gross receipts. For rates associated with your specific business license classification, please contact us in the Business License Division.
Business Licenses are not transferable between owners; however, they may be transferred to a new location within the city upon written notification to Business License Division and approval by the Planning Division. The majority of businesses, trades, professions, callings, or occupations operating in the City need a Business License Certificate and Occupancy Permit; these include but are not limited to:
- Any business in a commercial or industrial location.
- Persons who have a home office or use their home as the headquarters of their business.
- Businesses, which are located outside the city, but transact business in the City such as contractors, cleaners, repair people, gardening services, fumigators, etc.
- Independent contractors such as doctors, real estate sales agents, janitorial contractors, and home party demonstrators, etc.
- Apartments with three (3) units or more.
- Mobile vendors who sell merchandise from their vehicles, such as ice cream trucks and catering trucks.
- Temporary businesses such as one-day or weekend events in the city, or short-term seasonal businesses, etc.
Please contact the Planning Division at 323-887-1477 to determine if the desired business is located in an appropriate zoning district. Our staff is here to assist you Monday through Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Finance Department is located in the West Wing of the Montebello City Hall.
Hours of Operation
Monday – Thursday 7:30 am to 5:30 pm