Residents, contractors, and business owners who intend to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system must obtain a building permit.
- New, replace or repairs to electrical service panel
- Installing or replacing water heaters
- Retaining Wall
- Outdoor lighting (except low voltage)
- A/C and Heating
(Consult with Planning Department for approval prior to Building Department submittal)
(Consult with Public Works for all new and alteration of grading, concrete walkways, and driveways)
Please contact the City of Montebello, Building and Safety Division before starting any project to determine if city approvals, permits, and inspections are required.
(Building permit not need, however, contact the Planning Department. They will determine if review and approval is needed)
- One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provide the floor area is notgreater than 120 square feet (11m2).
- Fences not over 7 feet (2134 mm) high.
- Oil derricks.
- Retaining wall that are not over 4 feet (1219 mm) in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge or impounding Class I, II or, IIIA liquids.
- Water tanks supported directly on grade if the capacity is not greater than 5,000 gallons (18 925L) and the ratio of height to diameter width is not greater than 2:1.
- Sidewalks and driveways not more than 30 inches (762 mm) above adjacent grade, and not over any basement or story below and are not part of an accessible route.
- Painting papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work.
- Temporary motion picture, television and theater stage sets and scenery.
- Prefabricated swimming pools accessory to a Group R-3 occupancy that are less than 24 inches (610 mm) deep, are not greater than 5,000 gallons (18 925L) and are installed entirely above ground.
- Shade cloth structures constructed for nursery or agricultural purposes, not including service systems.
- Swings and other playground equipment accessory to detached one-and two family dwellings.
- Window awnings in Group R-3 and U occupancies, supported by an exterior wall that do not project more than 54 inches (1372 mm) from the exterior wall and do not require additional support.
- Nonfixed and movable fixtures, cases, racks, counters and partitions not over 5 feet 9 inches (1753 mm) in height.
- Minor repair work such as the replacement of lamps, switches, receptacle devices, sockets, taping bare joints and the like, or the connection of portable motors and appliances to suitable receptacles which have been permanently installed;
- Wiring for temporary theater, motion picture or television stage sets;
- Repair and replacement of fixed motors, transformers, apparatus, or appliances of the same type and rating in the same location;
- Electrical wiring, devices, appliances, apparatus, or equipment operating at less than twenty-five volts and not capable of supplying more than fifty watts of energy;
- Installation of temporary wiring for testing or experimental purposes within suitable facilities
- Portable generators, motors, appliances, tools, receptacle outlets, and other portable equipment connected by means of a cord or cable having an attachment plug and used on construction sites
- Installation, alteration, repair or maintenance of electrical equipment installed by or for an electricity supply agency for the use of such agency in the generation, transmission, distribution or metering of electricity.
- Portable heating appliance.
- Replacement of any minor part that does not alter approval of equipment or make such equipment unsafe.
- Portable heating appliance.
- Portable ventilation equipment.
- Portable cooling unit.
- Steam, hot, or chilled water piping within any heating or cooling equipment regulated by this code.
- Replacement of any part that does not alter its approval or make it unsafe.
- Portable evaporative cooler.
- Self-contained refrigeration system containing 10 pounds (4.54 kg) or less of refrigerant and actuated by motors of 1 horsepower (746 W) or less.
- The stopping of leaks in drains, water, soil, waste, or vent pipe; provided, however, that if any concealed trap, drainpipe, water, soil, waste, or vent pipe becomes defective and it becomes necessary to remove and replace the same with new material, such work shall be considered as new work, and a permit shall be obtained and inspection made as provided in this code.
- The clearing of stoppages or the repairing of leaks in pipes, valves, or fixtures, and the removal and reinstallation of water closets, provided such repairs do not involve or require the replacement or rearrangement of valves, pipes, or fixtures.
- Agents: Notarized Letter of Authority
- Pocket Card
- Proof of Worker’s Compensation Insurance
- Current California I.D. or Driver's License
- Current California I.D. or Driver’s License
- Completed Owner-Builder Acknowledgement
- See ‘Useful Links’